Monday 16 June 2014

Stocking up at Nong Fern Thai supermarket, Leeds


I was at a conference in Halifax today which involved a cross county jaunt starting at 5am this morning. Despite the long day, on my way back I had a 45 minute wait in Leeds for the next train which meant a quick dash to the Thai supermarket, Nong Fern on Vicar Lane  for a stock up. Twitter- https://twitter.com/nongfernleeds

Facebook- (https://www.facebook.com/nongfernthaileeds)

What a fantastic little supermarket. Monday is their fresh delivery day which meant I was spoiled for choice, there were many types of leafy/herby vegtables that I’d not come across before. I did pick up a few favourites, such as an unripe papaya to make som tam with, 3 packets of sweet basil and oyster sauce and some other ingredients that I plan to use this week- pea aubergines and krachai (wild ginger) that will go into a beef jungle curry that I’m making in a few days

I picked up something new that I've not used before, water mimosa so will investigate recipes that I can use that in and bought something that is most definitely an acquired taste that I’ve used just once before and my husband thinks are disgusting- stink beans or to give them their Thai name- sator. They come in the most amazing twisted pods that look like this…



Stink beans/ sator/ petai or even parkia (names vary!)

To use them, I’ll be making pad phed sator goong later this week too. For a bag full of really fresh Thai ingredients, my bill came in at £15.77 which I thought was very reasonable. They also do great steamed char sui buns at the counter.





No comments :

Post a Comment

Tried a recipe? Want some advice? Feel free to drop by with your thoughts!