Monday 30 June 2014

New Ingredient Day! - Water Mimosa



Pad Pak Grachet (Stir Fried Water Mimosa)

A week or so back now after my last visit to Nong Fern Thai Supermarket, I picked up something new; water mimosa. I’ve seen it a couple of times but never tried it before. It looked kind of strange, so decided it was high time to give it a go. It’s got long crunchy stems with lots of small, fern like fronds on it. Like a lot of Thai green vegetables, it’s often served as a side dish. I cooked it exactly the same way as another vegetable recipe I did a few weeks back- Pad Pak Kat Khiao 

To start I gave the whole thing a really good wash before separating the long stems into stalks and fronds. I discarded some of the tougher ends and twiggy bits before cutting the crunchy stems into inch long pieces. Everything else was then done as in the recipe (linked) above.

The verdict- It took a little bit of getting used to as it seemed very green and plant like (rather than food like), if that makes sense. I liked the mixture of the crunchy stems and the softer leafy bits. All the flavours used in the dish coated the mimosa and really complemented it’s slightly earthy flavour. All in all, I don’t think I’d rush to have it again but it was enjoyable to try it none the less.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tried a recipe? Want some advice? Feel free to drop by with your thoughts!