Thursday 9 April 2015

Gaeng Penang Moo (Pork Penang Curry)






It’s been an exciting week in our house; not least, today is my 30th birthday! For the last two nights I’ve eaten out; Thai (of course) on Tuesday night and Malaysian last night. I’ve been exploring Malaysian food a little more recently as we’re due to go on holiday to Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in a couple of months and I want to get to grips with the cuisine a bit more beforehand. I got some lovely birthday presents but two in particular have got me very excited. The first from my wonderful husband (you’re looking at the results) a new macro lens for my camera meaning I can get even more detail and depth of field in my pictures and secondly a private photo tour of some of Kuala Lumpur’s wet/dry markets. I can’t wait!
In honour of my forthcoming trip to Malaysia (but obsession with Thai food) today I have made a Penang curry- very thick creamy sauce, nutty, mild in taste and quite sweet; not my usual choice but really indulgent and a lovely birthday tea!
For two portions use:
  • 400g lean pork, sliced thin
  • 400ml (1 can) coconut milk (keep a little back to drizzle over)
  • a tablespoon of Massaman curry paste (I used Aroy- D)
  • half teaspoon of shrimp paste (I added it as there wasn’t any in the curry paste- if your paste has it already, skip this)
  • a big splash of fish sauce (nam pla)
  • a tablespoon of palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
  • a small handful of peanuts, crushed
  • 5/6 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
  • a handful of sweet basil leaves
  • 1 large red chilli, sliced
In a wok heat the coconut milk (save some back for drizzling over the finished dish). Cook until it starts reducing, bubbling and oils begin to rise. Stir every now and again so it doesn’t stick/burn. Add the curry paste and (if using) shrimp paste, cook and stir well for severeal minutes until mixed together and thick in consistency. Throw in the pork, fish sauce, sugar, nuts and lime leaves and stir,coating everything in the sauce until fully cooked (about 5 minutes). Stir though most of the basil leaves and serve. Sprinkle over the chilli slices, spare basil leaves and drizzle over the remaining coconut milk.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tried a recipe? Want some advice? Feel free to drop by with your thoughts!