Saturday 18 October 2014

No to Mediterranean Basil in Thai Food !!!




This winds me right up- so much so I just made the silly sign above to prove it. Thai restaurants in the UK (and in the US too?) that use Mediterranean basil instead of Thai basil.

I went out to a Thai restaurant for a friend’s birthday last night and ordered my favourite meal- chicken with Thai sweet  basil and let me say, on the menu had the Romanised Thai name Phad Bai Horapha which means sweet basil. What was otherwise a pleasant dish came with feckin Italian basil leaves on the top!! Nearly every Thai restaurant I’ve been to in the last 5 years does this. Every time I feel cheated and it does nothing for the flavour. ARRRRGGGGHH! Thai restaurants of the UK- for God’s sake if you can’t source Thai basil, holy, sweet or otherwise, stop pretending your customers are too stupid to tell the difference between something that should be on top of a pizza and something that should belong in a Thai curry! Rant over.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tried a recipe? Want some advice? Feel free to drop by with your thoughts!